Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Monday, May 26, 2014

Searching for Shark Teeth

For this one post, I'm going to take a break from my Sanibel Island Saga and tell you guys about how my family and some friends went searching for shark teeth yesterday.
We went to Flag Pond Nature Park on the Chesapeake Bay. The Park is just north of Calvert Cliffs and gets its fossils from the eroding cliffs.
The walk to the beach is just one half of a mile long and the beach is alright. But what we came in search of was SHARK TEETH!!!!!!!!!
 
So here's the beach.
 
 
I found a few Stingray Dental Plates.
 
And some fossilized seashells!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes! There are seashells everywhere!) :D



And here are my smaller shark teeth! Some were so tiny!!!! Barely an eighth of an inch long. I found some of the smaller ones by using a sieve- you pile some sand and stuff into it than shake it in some water so that all the sand falls through and only stones and shells and fossils are left. Then you search through them until you find something, or you don't. And then you pick up another "sieveful" ( like "bucketful") and start over.
Here are my larger teeth, these were around 1/2 of an inch long.
 
And finally, drumroll please....... My largest shark tooth!!!! This guy was probably just about 3/4 of an inch wide and 3/4 of an inch long. I found him buried in the sand so that just the very top was visible.
 
And my last fossil is this fossilized Crab Claw. I really like these guys.


 
And this is all the fossils I found on my blanker!
See ya soon and have a great Memorial Day,
Lava of Ocean Dawn :D

No comments:

Post a Comment