Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Shell Sorting Hat!


So, my second post for today: Shell ID and sorting.
The Shell Sorting Hat ( a reference to Harry Potter!!!) are my new shell ID books.
I decided to sort out some of my identityless (is that even word?) shells.
Here is half of my shell collection in its usual disarray:
As you can see its not that neat.

Here is one of my more neat display cases made out of an old candy box. :D CREATIVITY!!!!
 

Some more shells, some sorted, some not.

Here are two containers of my unsorted, unidentified shells!
Let's get started!!!

So finally I discovered what these two were: Common Dove Shells! They were about 3/4 of an inch long. You can tell that these are the Common Dove Shell because of the little teeth on its lip ( on the right picture).

Next, the Giant Coquina Clam, or Great False Coquina, or Giant False Coquina.
Lots of names. These two were about 1.5 inches long and as you can see, look a lot like the common Variable Coquina.

The Antillean Lima!!! Not sure where I found these, but I was really glad to finally find out what they were.

The American Carrier Shell. We already met before, but I just found a separate little box for it today. :D

And the Nutmeg. This is the only specimen of this tiny shell that I have found so fat. It's not in the best condition, but I hope to find more this year. This guy was found on Sanibel Island in March 2013. These mollusks feed on soft-bodied animals buried in the sand.
 
Well that's it for today. Look for more shell sorting and ID post in the future!
 
See ya soon,
Lava of Ocean Dawn :D

No comments:

Post a Comment