Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Friday, March 21, 2014

March Madness with (a few) mini "M" shells and others

 
Hi guys!
As you can see, I am trying my best to not leave y'all hanging and waiting for my next post.
(By the way, don't y'all think that "y'all" is such a cool word? ;) )
 
 
And without more ado,
I introduce a Milk Moonsnail to you!!!!
 
This mini shell is adorable and unfortunately, I only have one specimen which I found in Fort Lauderdale, FL in Nov, 2012.

Marginellas!!!
 Another "M" shell for you! Hmmmmm..... sounds like some March Madness to me...
 
These Marginellas might be several different species, so in my next post I'll look into that and show you all of them closer. :D
 
The Shiny Atlantic Auger. Once again, I found these in Fort Lauderdale.

 Spiny Slippershell. These guys are hermaphroditic. This means that they can switch genders. In fact, Slippershells begin their lives as males and then, in response to environmental stimuli, transform into females.

Button Shells are ADORABLE! These minis feed on detritus and algae. Also, the young hatch as a miniature version of the parent, not as free-swimming larvae.
 
So that's all the cuteness for today!
 
See ya later,
Yaroshelllava :D

No comments:

Post a Comment