Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Some Shelltastic Fig Shells


 Hi guys, I decided to do a shell of the day (let's see how long I can keep remembering to do this!): choose a shell from my collection, take some pictures and then tell you guys all about it!
 
Today's "Shell of the Day": the Paper Fig Shell
 
This shells range from North Carolina to the Gulf of Mexico. They are especially common on Florida's West Coast. I found my specimens on Sanibel Island (on the West Coast of Florida).

Fig shells have no operculum, or "trap door" for the mollusk to shut itself inside with.

The diet of Fig Shells consists of sand dollars and sea urchins. All members of this group live offshore in the sand.
 
I was SO happy when I found these shells! I hope that you will, too, come to love these shells as I do.
 
See ya soon!
Yaroslava :D
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment