Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Friday, December 19, 2014

Fossil Friday

Today, since it's a Friday, I decided to show to my fossil collection. Let's start with shark teeth!

This is my biggest shark tooth- about 2.5 or 3 inches long. I won this in a lottery at a local gem/mineral/fossil show! I know for certain that it's not a Megaladon, but otherwise, I'm clueless. If you guys know what kind of tooth this is, please comment! :D

Next is my second biggest tooth. Now, based on other people's knowledge, I will hazard a guess that this is a Great White tooth. It's only 2 inches long, so it's too small to be a Megaladon's. I found it in Oak Island, NC. The waves were about 6 ft, and super rough that day.

And here are all my shark teeth. I'm rather bad at IDing my shark teeth, so I 'm not even gonna try. However, here's a fun fact for you guys. You notice that while most teeth are black or grey, several are yellowish. The color of fossilized shark teeth depends on the color of the earth that they were fossilized in. So the black teeth became fossilized in black soil.

Here is a Stingray Barb. I have a few of these.

And here are Stingray Dental Plates.

Two of my porpoise teeth.

And finally, some fossilized snail shells ( I couldn't resist- seashells are impossible to leave out of anything!)
 
Now you may wonder where I find my fossils? Most of them I find locally- at Flag Ponds Nature Park, I wrote about one of my trips there in this blog post. This is a state park on the Chesapeake Bay. Another park to visit if you're looking for fossils is Calvert Cliffs. We went there once but the hike was far too long for us ( me and my brothers were pretty young and got tired). Also, a small portion of my fossils I find on my lovely Oak Island, NC. This year is the thirteenth year that my family and I have vacationed ont he island and it's lovely!
 
Well that's it for today!
Yaroshelllava :D

No comments:

Post a Comment