Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Beach Bling on Sanibel (Part 2 of My Shelldventure on Sanibel)

And I'm back with some more story time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now, I'm gonna show you lots of different stuff (shells and beach bling) that you can find on the beach on Sanibel Island.

This here, is a Saw-toothed Pen Shell. I've talked about them before. These monsters ( 8-12 in) can be found all over the beach and in the water, so after a few days you don't notice them anymore, unless you're looking threw them to see if a shell got stuck in side. That's how I found one of my baby True Tulips!!!

Next up a Horse Conch Egg Case- lots of egg casings can be found on the beaches on Sanibel. These can be distinguished due to the fact that they are not like a string or garland, but more like a bag, a saddle bag, in fact ;)

Another type of egg casing is the Lightning Whelk egg casings. You can see how these resemble garlands unlike the Horse Conch egg casing above.

Moving on to shells- this is a Yellow Prickly Cockle. You can see how its yellow color gave the shell its name. About the prickles, you can see little spines on the shell's ribs when you look closer. I'm sorry this photo doesn't show the shell up close.

Just a portion of the shell line. This is what miles and miles of shore can be like and you have to plod slowly along in order to find a great shell. But when you find it- Shellcess!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Sea Urchin!!!!!!!! I absolutely LOOOOVE these echinoderms, if you don't already know. This guy is obviously dead, and a little broken on top, but I still took him ( he was my first full sea urchin in all time, too!)

Some more egg casings- I thought that these belonged to the True Tulip, but they don't. If you do know what they are, please tell me in the comments below!!!!! The egg casings were attached to the inside of a Saw-toothed Pen Shell.

An Atlantic Calico Scallop- there were so many of these guys too. But I have a very distinct taste for the orange scallops, so I didn't really pick up any of the pink or purple ones. :D

 
Hiding under a Saw-toothed Pen Shell, I found a cool little piece of Variable Worm Shells. I love these cute tube clusters!

An egg casing on an egg casing!!!!! The tiny egg casings are those of a True Tulip and the larger ones are those of a Lightning Whelk.
When I looked closer at the picture on my phone, I saw that the True Tulip egg capsules were still closed and held teeny tiny baby True Tulips- shelldorable!!!!!
 
And that's a look at some of the awesome things that wash up on Sanibel!!!!!
 
See ya soon!!!!!!
Lava of Ocean Dawn :D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment