Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fantasizing about Florida.

Last year, March 2013, my family and I went to Sanibel Island, FL for a week of vacation.
Sanibel Island is the #1 spot for shelling in the US! Now you can see why I desperately wanted to go there.
So, after several years of trying to persuade my parents to take us there, they agreed.
That week in March was heavenly!
I loved the island, the beaches, the biking trails and most importantly....
THE SHELLS!!!!!
Here's a glimpse of some of the shells that I collected:
You can see the HUGE Saw-toothed Pen Shell, the Atlantic Giant Cockles, the Whelks and the Banded Tulips.
The rest of the shells I just kind of heaped there because I'm not really neat... ;D
Anyway, this was my second time in Florida because in November 2012 we had gone to Fort Lauderdale.
And now!!!!!! We're going to Sanibel AGAIN!!!!!!!!!
Yep, in a little over a month I'll be on the darling island again.
I can't wait!
But in the mean time, I want to show you guys some of my pictures from last year....
 
This guy here is a live Florida Fighting Conch. The reason for their name is their pretty aggressive personality. When I was holding this guy he kept hitting me with his foot and claw-like operculum (trap-door, you can see it at the bottom of the picture). But I managed to get this cute photo of him before returning him to the water. :D
 
Now this guy here is burrowing into the sand, but I don't think he ever got any further. Out of the hundreds of live Florida Fighting Conchs that were strewn on the beach at low tide, lots of them were in the position that you see here.
 
Next is the Florida Horse Conch. This, here shell is the largest gastropod in North America and the second largest ( after the Australian Trumpet) in the world. This shell has been on my "To Find" list ever since I first saw it in a shell book, but I only got to find one last year.
But it was alive, so I put it back in the water.

On Sanibel Island it's illegal to take home any live shell, sea urchin, sand dollar or sea star. But even if it was legal, I would have never taken this guy home.
I 'd much rather it stay alive.
So this year I'm hoping for a nice big empty Horse Conch to take home.
 
 
                                             This is another picture of the same shell. Right after I took this photo, the Conch spit water at my camera. Thankfully, the camera was fine. Horse Conchs hunt on other large gastropods such as Tulip Shells and Lightning Whelks. They get their prey by grabbing the other mollusks operculum and holding it tightly while eating.

 
Well that's it for today. I gotta go now.
But don't be sad, there will definitely be more posts on Sanibel Island in the next few days.
 
See ya soon!
Lava of Ocean Dawn :D
 

No comments:

Post a Comment