Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Exotic Shells Part 2

Hi guys!
It's gonna be a short post, but I wanted to show you some of the other exotic shells that I have identified.
 
The Magellanic Triton. This shells can be found in the south of South America, south of Australia and New Zealand. A pretty big range, if you ask me!

 
This shell here is a faded Giant Knobbed Cerith. These guys live in the Indo-Pacific. The lip of the shell in adult specimens is usually white and thick.
 
 
A Map Cowrie. Also from the Indo-Pacific. They live under coral. I can see how the shell got its name from the many, distinct markings. To me they look a lot like hieroglyphics!


 
Lastly, some more shells that my anonymous donor gave me. These however are far from exotic, they can be found right in Maryland. These are Atlantic Bay Scallops. Once they were extensively gathered and became scarce due to habitat loss and overfishing. I have found plenty of these on Assateague Island, however.
 
And now, I gotta run!!!!!!!
 
Bye!
Yaroshelllava :D

 

No comments:

Post a Comment