Florida Fighting Conch

Florida Fighting Conch

Thursday, March 5, 2015

How I Store My Shells

Shelling is fun an exciting and it's hard to control yourself whilst collecting shells. But, all of a sudden, your vacation is over and you're sitting at home with a bag or two of shells that need to be sorted and stored somehow. 
Everyone's been there! So in case any of you are struggling right now or have struggled with finding the containers for your shells, I've decided to show you what containers I use to sort and store my shells!


Here's my biggest shell box. I got it at AC Moore and I think that it's supposed to be used for beads or other small things. I like this box because you can move the little plastic walls around to make the compartments what ever size you need them to be. As you can see in the picture above, my Florida Fighting Conchs take up more room than my Alternate Tellins or Augers.


I got this little shell with removable containers at Walmart. The boxes are sturdy and will protect your fragile shells like False Angel Wings and beach beach bling like Sea Urchins. They have lids that are pretty well secured.


This is my box for my minis. I got it at AC Moore, too and it's definitely a box to hold beads. It has two big boxes (in the middle) and around 40 medium boxes (around the sides) and finally 20 tiny boxes (the ones closest to the front). It's a good sturdy case, but it can be a little hard to close the little containers sometimes.


Here's an Identification Box that I made out of an old Candy box! I cut a hole in the top of the box and taped a page protector onto it so that I could look at my shells. This is a good idea for display.


Another candy box turned into a sorting box. I use this guy to store my sharks teeth, sting ray plates and other fossils.


And finally, if you don't have any boxes, then you can always resort to the standard Ziploc bags as I sometimes do.


Drawer #1


Drawer #2

Now that you're done sorting your shells, you can stack them in a drawer, like I did above!
Happy shell sorting everyone!
See you soon,
Yaroshelllava :)

P.S. Exactly one month til I'm on Sanibel again, can't wait! Stay warm everyone! 😊








No comments:

Post a Comment